Booking a boudoir session is the perfect way to celebrate your femininity and individuality. It can be an incredibly fun yet empowering experience that can boost your self-esteem and add an extra bounce to your step. It’s also about loving and artistically expressing who you are, right now, in this moment. I know it’s a big deal to book boudoir photos, even if it’s something you’ve been wanting to do for a long time! So I decided to break it down for you and give you a simple 5 steps to prep for your boudoir session!
1. Determine Your Desired Look
Do you want to go nude, partially nude, wear lingerie or a favorite t-shirt? Do you want your shoot to be full-on sexy or sort of sweet? Your desired look for the session will help you find the perfect photographer and work out details like location, wardrobe, and props.
(Once you book your session with me, I’ll send you my lingerie guide that can help you shop for items that will flatter your style and body type. Some are items you may not have even thought of!)
2. Find a Boudoir Photographer (aka a Specialist)
Boudoir portraiture is a niche art form, so be very discerning when choosing your photographer. It’s crucial to do your research—browse their portfolios and read client testimonials. Since boudoir is such an intimate and vulnerable experience, it’s essential that you find someone you trust and feel comfortable around.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT DURING A BOUDOIR SESSION WITH WILD IRIS STUDIOS
- Professional posing, guiding and attention to detail from a photographer who has studied wardrobe, lighting, and posing techniques for all the beautiful variations of the female form.
- Professional hair and makeup from a trained and certified hair stylist and artist.
- An experience you’ll never forget, especially if we travel into the wild.
- A damn good time and an extra bounce in your step!
You can check out even more of my boudoir work here!
3. Choosing Your Boudoir Wardrobe
Start by shopping your closet for the items you instinctively select when you want to feel (and look) your absolute best. Don’t stress over this. If you feel lost, just bring one bra/panty set, one bodysuit, and one wildcard (like something from our Client Closet or your birthday suit). Have fun with it!
*TIP: Bring more items than you think you’ll need but go light on the props!
It’s fun to mix and match and you never know what oddity might be perfect. I recommend bringing:
- Knee-high socks
- Oversized sweater
- Your favorite cozy plain or jean button up shirt
- A leather jacket you only bust out every now and then
- Your favorite candles
- A prop from one of your hobbies, be it roller skates or some rope. 😉
(If you book me for your session, I suggest browsing over my lingerie guide one more time for inspiration. And of course, please feel free to text or call and ask any questions! I’m here for you every step of the way! )
4. Prep Mind, Body, and …Skin
Drink LOTS of water. Lower your salt intake and abstain from alcohol for a week before your shoot to avoid water retention. Treat yo’self to a mani/pedi. Bathe, shower, and moisturize. Enjoy a quiet evening and get a full night’s sleep before the day of your session.
THE WEEK BEFORE YOUR BOUDOIR SESSION:
- Get your hair trimmed, and roots touched up if you have split ends or harsh roots.
- Wax/groom unwanted hair. If you wax, you’ll want to give your skin a few days to settle down before it is photographed. This goes for eyebrows, armpits, and anything that may poke out of your lingerie.
- Manicure/pedicure. Hands play a big part of your photographs.
- Moisturize Moisturize Moisturize! Especially in the winter.
- Avoid tanning or sunless tanning lotions. They do not photograph well!
THE DAY BEFORE YOUR SESSION:
- Avoid alcohol or excess salt intake 24 hours before your session. The last thing you want is to feel bloated during your photoshoot!
- Drink LOTS of water. This helps flush away any water retention, makes your eyes look more rested, and gives your skin a healthy glow.
- If you prefer to shave your bikini area, the night before is a good time to do so, with minimal irritation showing up in your photos.
- Get a good nights’ sleep! (Easier said than done if you’re a mom, am I right?!)
THE DAY OF YOUR BOUDOIR SESSION:
- Remove all tags from your lingerie if you’re bringing your own.
- Brush your teeth before your shoot if possible!
- Remove hair-ties and elastics from your wrist. Sometimes they leave a crease in the skin.
- Wear loose fitting clothes/bra to your session. Again, these things leave a crease in the skin. A sundress or sweatpants are perfect.
- Use clear rather than white deodorant. Boudoir posing is a workout, so you may break out in a slight sweat, and white creases are easy to see in your photos and can leave marks on your clothes.
- MOISTURIZE. All over your body. Even the armpits. Don’t ask why, but it looks better. LOL
- If you’re making use of my exclusive client boudoir closet, I have disposable black g-strings available to wear underneath any garments. Check with your photographer, and I also suggest bringing a nude thong if you have one for non-black lingerie.
- Show up with clean hair + clean skin for our beauty team (I’m looking at you, moms! Check your hair for applesauce!).
- Our make-up artist has quite a selection, but if you have a specific foundation that matches your skin color best, bring it with you.
5. The last step to prep for your Boudoir Session?!
Take a deep breath and relax. It’s completely normal to feel nervous before your shoot. We promise, it will be a fun, stress-free day that’s all about YOU. Trust us, you’ll be coming back for more!
Sincerely, Sierra xo
You might also like
If you’d like more info about booking a boudoir session, contact me!